Serial Slot Review

Nolimit City is back with another release – called Serial – and as the name suggests, this dark, black-humored video slot features a variety of serial killers. You’ll be playing alongside the main antagonist called the Bodycam Butcher, and from the moment you first open the game you’ll be presented with an eerie, immersive soundtrack – slightly creepy to hear at night, if you ask us!

The game is built around a 5-reel, 3-row format, and there are a minimum of 243-ways-to-win; the number of “ways-to-win” can increase, as you’ll see later. The standard RTP of the slot is 96.07%, but, as with most of Nolimit’s slots these days, there are other RTP settings available. This can drop to as low as 92.05% depending on which online casino site you play the slot at.

The minimum bet is 0.20 credits, and – casino-depending – you can wager as much as 100 credits per spin. What separates Serial from some of the game developer’s other recent releases, however, is the insane win potential; you can walk away with up to 74,800x your stake. And, like we see with most of the software provider’s games, this max win was reached shortly after release!

The game is also highly-volatile – coming in at 10/10 on the game developer’s in-house variance scale – and the hit frequency is reported to be 27.59%. The maximum win occurs, on average, once in every 12 million rounds.

In this slot review we’re going to show you exactly what you can expect when playing the game for yourself. Firstly, we’ll look at the slot’s theme, design, and layout; later, we’ll cover the bonuses and features, and finish by giving you our honest thoughts about it all.

Serial Slot

Serial Slot: Theme, Design, and Layout

While there’s some talk about Serial slot being a sequel to Mental, Nolimit City hasn’t specified this is the case; however, it does look to pick up where Mental left off, and you’ll see the reels set in a dark, gloomy – and creep – old factory room… it’s reminiscent of the set of the first Saw movie.

Graphically, the game developer has done a great job – and the video slot is also fully mobile-optimized. This means you can enjoy the gameplay from your mobile devices without needing to install any apps or download software.

Special Symbols, Bonus Features, and Gameplay

All of the symbols in the Serial slot are theme-specific – and the low-value ones are represented by five sinister-looking objects; torture devices, we’d say, along with a pair of gloves. The high-paying symbols include a pile of bones, a scared lady, a blood-covered doctor, a police officer, and the Bodycam Butcher himself. Standard symbol wins pay up to 0.9x for a 5-of-a-kind combo of the low-paying ones, while the higher-paying symbols are worth between 1x and 5x your bet.

There are wild symbols in the game – appearing in numerous forms – and when they land in view, they substitute for all other symbols in the game.

Serial Slot: Bonus Features

Like most of the Nolimit’s games, Serial revolves heavily around the bonuses and features. The first one to mention is the re-spin mechanic; any time winning symbols land, they are locked in place while the rest of the reel positions re-spin. Any additional winning symbols that appear are also locked in, and this process completes until no more winning symbols land in view. In addition to this, each time the game re-spins, one enhancer cell at the top and bottom is unlocked.

When the enhancer cells are unlocked, they can reveal xWays (revealing between two and four matching symbols), xNudge Wilds (a wild symbol that nudges to cover the entire reel and adds a multiplier to the current win), a regular wild, or character symbols.

The main bonus round is triggered by landing 3, 4, or 5 of the scatter symbols anywhere in view; landing three awards The Search. Each scatter symbol will then display a number, which correlates to the number of free spins you’re awarded. During the bonus round, extra Enhancer Cells are added to reels two, three, and four – and this increases the game’s grid size to a 3-5-5-5-5-3 layout.  If, during the bonus round, you manage to land an xSpit symbol, you’ll be upgraded to The Kill.

During The Kill, you’ll play the standard free spins, with the added benefit of having an xSplit Wild always landing on the last reel. The final feature is quite unique; the maximum win during the base game or free spins bonus round is 18,700x your stake. If you somehow manage to hit this win, you’ll then be taken to the xBizzare feature. There are three stages here, where you have a 50/50 shot of doubling your win.

For those not located in the UK, Nolimit City also offers a bonus buy feature. The Search can be purchased for 78x your stake, while The Kill costs 480x. There’s also a lucky draw option – costing 279x your stake – where you have a 70% chance of being awarded the standard bonus, and a 30% chance of getting the “super” bonus.

Conclusion

If you can get past the undoubtedly-creepy serial killer theme, the game has quite a lot to offer. Sure, it’s a unique concept – and the base game won’t be for everyone (sticky win re-spins is a slow mechanic, after all), but at least it lends itself well to longer playing sessions – and a more exciting base game.

The bonus round is fairly decent, and it’s undeniable that there’s some insane win potential on offer – just shy of 80,000x your bet. However, we do feel that the bonus rounds are a bit bland; there’s no “WOW” factor, especially given the fact that hitting the maximum win requires you to enter a weird gamble bonus, where you’re simply trying to double your win. We should note, however, that it’s not possible to lose your winnings during this gamble feature.

On the whole, it’s a decent effort from Nolimit City – but we can’t see it surpassing Mental, in terms of popularity. Time, however, will tell!

If you like this provider, then we recommend Rock Bottom slot, or as an alternative, the Pearl Harbor slot will offer you an immersive experience.